March is the month of good luck! But you’ll need more than a four-leaf clover to ensure your air conditioner runs efficiently.
Today, Dial One Sonshine is here to teach you the right way to care for your air conditioner. (At least, the things you can do yourself without the help of an expert technician.) Many people are unaware of these preventative measures and they find themselves in a sweltering hot home.
With some simple education you can avoid this unfortunate scenario and have an air conditioner that runs smoothly all season long! Here’s what you need to do:
- Clear debris from your A/C unit. It sounds easy, right? But if you’ve never done it, you will be surprised how much dirt accumulates. Clean your outside unit at least once per year. First, cut off power to the unit by turning off the breaker. Then, clear away any major debris (such as hedges that have gotten too close to the A/C unit). Take your garden hose and clean out the coils of the A/C unit by blasting them with water!
- Make sure to change your A/C filter regularly. Dirt and dust get sucked into your A/C unit constantly, kept out of the air you breathe only because of the A/C filter. If you have pets, this is even more important. Make sure to replace your filter correctly. The arrows on the filter should point toward the direction of airflow. If you flip it around, the filter will not be able to do its job efficiently.
- Clean out your ducts as far as you can, at least once per year. Once again, power down the unit before attempting this process. Clean any major buildup and dust bunnies by using a vacuum attachment, pulling any debris up toward the duct’s opening.
- If you have a humidifier, you need to turn it off as the weather gets warmer and more humid here in Santa Ana. Pour some water down the humidifier’s drain to see if it’s clogged and needs fixing before you use it again next year.
- Make sure your thermostat is working properly. Many newer models don’t require batteries and so there’s no risk of your unit shutting off when the thermostat does. However, you should verify your thermostat is working properly by comparing its reading to one from a freestanding visual-read thermostat in your home.
Those are all the things you can easily do yourself, but here’s a bonus tip:
- Have your A/C unit serviced by a professional technician at least twice per year to check its speed, electrical workings, and refrigerant levels. During this process you can also have them give your entire HVAC system a thorough cleaning!
When you take good care of your AC unit, you’ll find yourself very comfortable this summer and in years to come. But if you do have any air conditioning problems, you can rely on the pros at Dial One Sonshine for expert AC repair in Orange County. Contact us online or give us a call: (714) 613-1016